Thursday, May 29, 2008

The International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers Win Courage of Conscience Award

"It is out of a desire to promote the causes of peace and justice, nonviolence and love that The Peace Abbey Courage of Conscience Award is humbly given."

Celebratory greetings!

I have loved the International Council of Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers ever since I had the supreme honor and heartfelt delight of meeting and listening to the Council's chairwoman, Agnes Baker-Pilgrim, speak here in Portland at a Natural Way event presented by Earth & Spirit Council in October of 2005. I was both amazed and flooded with deep emotions as I learned of this wise, strong, loving, and deeply committed and courageous group of Elder women from indigenous tribes from all over the world. I learned at that time that it takes five interpreters for the Grandmothers to speak with one another! Yet these beautiful elder women are an example of transcending, working with, and honoring their differences to work together on behalf of the higher good of us all. I have photographs of the Grandmothers up in my home and at my work. I love these women, these Grandmothers! I appreciate their love for Mother Earth and for all life on the planet. I hear, see, and understand their concerns. And I am deeply grateful to each of the Grandmothers for all that they do and all that they are.

It is my belief that we humans are deeply in need of Elders who model strong voices that speak the truth, expansive hearts that care for all life, and courageous spirits and wise souls who help remind us to connect with our hearts and act in whatever way we each can to bring awakening, healing, and peace to ourselves and to the planetary family we share this wondrous world with. This is the gift that the International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers bring forth. And now it comes to my attention that they have been granted the Courage of Conscience Award. This makes my heart smile. :-)

Thank you to Ken for passing on this information to me about the Grandmothers receiving the Courage of Conscience Award. In honor of the Grandmothers, I am moved to share about the these extraordinary women and the award they are receiving...

Grandmothers Council Wins Courage of Conscience Award

The Grandmothers have been awarded the Courage of Conscience award, which has been given to peacekeepers and activists such as Mother Teresa, the Dalai Lama, and Rosa Parks, among others.

The notice of the award is not yet posted on the Peace Abbey website, but you can visit their site to see information on the Courage of Conscience award and a complete list of the previous recipients. Congratulations to the Grandmothers Council on receiving this distinguished honor!
http://www.peaceabbey.org/awards/peace_award.htm

Please go here for the website for the International Council of Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers: http://www.grandmotherscouncil.com/

For more on Agnes Baker-Pilgrim, please go here: http://www.turtleislandstorytellers.net/tis_oregon/transcript_a_pilgrim.htm

Peace & blessings ~ Molly

"The Creator gave us... this voice to be able to speak for the voiceless. And that is all the green upon our Mother Earth, the one-leggeds, the 'tree people,' I call them... People said when you take the trees off of the mountain, they're the ones that call the wind and the rain. And when you do that, it causes a domino effect of destruction all the way down that mountain to the rivers and streams..." - Agnes Pilgrim, the oldest living descendent of the Takelma Indians

No comments: