Saturday, May 10, 2008

Acknowledging the Race Chasm

Warm Greetings.

Author, columnist, journalist David Sirota is a man I very much respect for his truth-telling and his ability to shine light on the complexities and deeper layers of many of the most important issues facing us all today. Of course, one which is brimming up with great force in all its overt and covert ugliness - and, therefore, also with the very real potential for true recognition, healing, and transformation - is racism. As David states, "racism... will exist until we recognize it and reject it." Amen.

Here is David's website: http://www.davidsirota.com/. And here is his article "Acknowledging the Race Chasm": http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20080508_acknowledging_the_race_chasm/.

I see these times as inviting us to deepen our courage and our connection with Creator, our capacity for truth and vision, and our heartfelt caring for all. My own experience is that this has required of me, and in an on-going way, to deepen my spiritual practice and that, in doing so, to embrace the humility and courage it takes to see my blind spots and what may be getting in the way of being a greater force for kindness, compassion, caring, and peace. Growing up many years ago in what was a very white and very racist suburb of Detroit, Michigan, I fully own that I have had, and continue to do, much work on lifting my own veils which have kept me from recognizing and healing the distortions of the often subtle, but deeply hurtful and damaging stories and belief systems which were one part of my inheritance of growing up in Grosse Pointe. That said, I am so grateful today for all the opportunities to see more clearly and deeply. In opening my heart to the Love that is the root and core of my spiritual path, and with the lifting of each new veil of distortion, I have found that buried in often hard and painful truths - right down there in the thick of things - is much beauty, greater joy, and a deepening sense of lovingkindness and connection with the sacredness of all life. Even along very bumpy roads in which there have at times appeared to be insurmountable obstacles, on the other side I have always discovered profound lessons for which I am deeply grateful.

Perhaps a diversity of opportunities for us all abound in these times.

Brightest blessings ~ Molly

No comments: