Thursday, April 2, 2020

Mark Nepo: We Share the Same River

We Share the Same River

The river’s now in me.
I was traveling in South Africa and felt very tender one morning when my friend Kim came upon me as I was weeping. She asked if I was okay, I told her it was only the waters of life splashing up on my shore. Later that day, I found her near tears and checked in with her. She said, “The river’s now in me.”
We looked into each other and realized that we all share the same river. It flows beneath us and through us, from one dry heart to the next. We share the same river. It makes the Earth one living thing.
The whole of life has a power to soften and open us against our will, to irrigate our spirits, and in those moments, we discover the tears, the water from within, are a common blood, mysterious and clear. We may speak different languages and live very different lives, but when that deep water swells to the surface, it pulls us to each other.
We share the same river, and where it enters, we lose our stubbornness the way fists wear open when held under in the stream of love.
Mark Nepo
From The Book of Awakening

No comments: