Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Nikki Giovanni: We Love Because It's the Only True Adventure


There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect.

We obviously need the truth. We're living in a country of lies.

The world is not a pleasant place to be without someone to hold and be held by. 

A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it.

If you don't understand yourself you don't understand anybody else.

Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts.

I really don't think life is about the I-could-have-beens. Life is only about the I-tried-to-do. I don't mind the failure but I can't imagine that I'd forgive myself if I didn't try. 

Everything will change. The only question is growing up or decaying.

You do what you can with what you have. You have to work the edges whatever they are. The main thing is keeping your integrity.

A lot of people refuse to do things because they don't want to go naked, don't want to go without guarantee. But that's what's got to happen. You go naked until you die.

Everything is a lesson. And so you have to find out what’s the lesson, and how do I embrace this lesson, and how do I go forward? And you have to watch out for the bitterness. That’s what you don’t want to be bothered with.

I love you because no two snowflakes are alike, and it is possible, if you stand tippy-toe, to walk between the raindrops.  

We love because it's the only true adventure.
 

No comments: