Monday, August 14, 2017

Lee Camp: We Each Get One Shot At Making This World a Better Place

In reflecting upon what happened in Virginia, my heart is filled with anguish and horror and a profound sadness. I am also grateful for this perspective from someone who was there. Lee Camp's words are powerful and vital. May we all choose to be ever so mindful of what we are feeding our hearts and minds and what the deeper questions are that we are asking ourselves, and especially in response to so much suffering, violence, and tragedy. As we come to the fork in the road - which we all do countless times in our lifetimes - what is it that we are choosing for our path and how it is that we contribute to making the world a better place for all? - Molly

I don't have the proper words to describe what I witnessed today.
People peacefully marched and carried banners in Charlottesville, VA - the town where I went to college. The streets where I spent so many days learning about who I was. These protesters were standing up for love, and kindness, and equality, and an end to racism and bigotry. Less than 10 minutes after I arrived, a few feet from where I stood, I watched as a car intentionally ran over 20 people - people the driver had never met and knew almost nothing about. He just hoped to kill innocent people, and he succeeded. One person is dead.
By sheer luck no one I knew or was there with was injured. I'm not going to go into the deeper issues about what this or the media coverage says about our society. I don't have the mental energy at the moment. I'm just going to say take this moment to reflect on what you stand for, reflect on what matters to you in this life. We each get one shot at making this world a better place. One fleeting ephemeral moment of consciousness on a fleeting ephemeral rock orbiting a fleeting ephemeral glowing orb.
Ask yourself what you're using your moment for.
 - Lee Camp 

No comments: