Saturday, August 9, 2014

Kristin Neff: The Power of a Gentle Caress


The warm embrace of self-kindness makes our suffering bearable, providing a soothing balm that softens the hard edges of our pain. When we treat ourselves as a kind friend would, we are no longer totally absorbed by playing the role of the one who is suffering. Yes, I hurt. But I also feel care and concern. I am both the comforter and the one  in need of comfort. There is more to me than the pain I am feeling right now, I am also the heartfelt response to that pain. When we are moved by how difficult like is in the moment, somehow that moment isn't as difficult as it was just a second ago. We add a new ingredient to our experience, providing relief like a cool spring bubbling up in a hot, dry desert.

- Kristin Neff, Ph.D., excerpted Self-Compassion:
The Proven Power of Being Kind To Yourself

No comments: