Sunday, February 18, 2024

Jim Palmer: Illuminating Common Religious Lies


It's likely if you were involved in a high-control or toxic religious environment that you were indoctrinated into a set of self-sabotaging beliefs. Here's a common list of religious lies that people learn, sometimes from a early early age.

I am inherently bad.
I can't trust myself.
My heart is wicked.
I deserve punishment.
I don't measure up.
I am powerless.
Self-denial is holiness.
I need forgiveness for who I am.
I need saved from myself.
I am worthless on my own.
Being devoted to God means staying in an abusive relationship.
Therapy or medication is a lack of faith.
Self-care is selfish.
The world is evil.
If I mess up I will lose my salvation and go to hell.
People I deeply love are in hell or will go there.
Everything outside my church culture is a threat.
I can never be good enough.
Feelings are dangerous and not trustworthy.
I am not capable of thinking for myself.
Obedience is true discipleship.
Questioning is a spirit of rebellion.
I must be perfect.
My struggles mean I am not trusting God.
I am nothing without Jesus.
I am weak and he is strong.
God will fix it for me.
It's unfortunate that religion doesn't tell people the truth of who and what they are. The most significant deconstruction work involves your relationship with yourself, and addressing the human development deficits left behind by a religion that stunted your mental, emotional, psychological and spiritual health.
Jim Palmer
From Notes from (Over) the Edge

No comments: