Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Mary Oliver: Almost a Conversation


Almost a Conversation
 
I have not really, not yet, talked with otter
about his life.
 
He has so many teeth, he has trouble
with vowels.
 
Wherefore our understanding
is all body expression —
 
he swims like the sleekest fish,
he dives and exhales and lifts a trail of bubbles.
Little by little he trusts my eyes
and my curious body sitting on the shore.
 
Sometimes he comes close.
I admire his whiskers
and his dark fur which I would rather die than wear.
 
He has no words, still what he tells about his life
is clear.
He does not own a computer.
He imagines the river will last forever.
He does not envy the dry house I live in.
He does not wonder who or what it is that I worship.
He wonders, morning after morning, that the river
is so cold and fresh and alive, and still
I don't jump in.
 
Mary Oliver

2 comments:

Milo Burcham said...

I see you are using my sea otter image on your blog (Mary Oliver: almosy a conversation). Have you purchased this through my stock agency? If not I will have them contact you. You can contact me at milosphotos@yahoo.com
Thanks
Milo Burcham Photography

Unknown said...

uwu