Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Cornel West: Integrity and Courage Are a Way of Life We Choose


This morning I was beyond delighted to discover that Cornel West was the speaker on David Barsamian's program today. Ron and I were incredibly captivated as we listened to this great man speak. KBOO, an independent radio station broadcasting out of Portland, carries Alternative Radio every Tuesday morning between 9-10:00. KBOO also broadcasts Amy Goodman and Democracy Now! twice daily Monday-Friday, from 7-8am and then again from 4-5pm. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude!

I've been listening to an incredible diversity of speakers for many, many years on David Barsamian's program. Originally NPR carried Alternative Radio. I still remember it was on every Tuesday night from 8-9:00. I have a box filled with cassette tapes of programs I taped every Tuesday. I was hungry to know what I did not know! And between Democracy Now and Alternative Radio, I was hearing a breathtaking diversity of voices that I was rarely hearing anywhere else. Then, as huge corporate interests began to increasingly permeate and impact NPR, they removed Alternative Radio from their programing. My heart fell... until I discovered that KBOO picked it up. Please go here for a glimpse into the voices broadcast on Alternative Radio: https://www.alternativeradio.org/.

*****

And this morning, once again, it was Cornel West. YES! David Barsamian affirmed how Dr. West is often described: The preeminent African American intellectual of our times. And, as I listened to him speak, I found myself scribbling notes and quotes on a sticky note...

"Martin Luther King and Donald Trump are both Americans. The question is what kind of American do we want to be?

"Do not respond by hating and dehumanizing."

"In the richest country on Earth, one in every two black and brown children in America live in poverty." 

"What we are seeing is unregulated greed."

"These aren't problems. They are catastrophes!" [Poverty, racism, greed, the climate crisis, etc.]  

"We need to see the urgency of the emergency."

"We need to be connecting with movements around the world." [To address the enormity of crises we are facing.]

"I don't hate people. I hate injustice... We need to stand against injustice."

"We need to be love and justice warriors." 

"We need to be wise and courageous."

"Integrity and courage are a way of life we choose."

*****

Listening to Cornel West this morning also inspired me to do this post today, which highlights many other wise and needed quotes: Cornel West: Never Forget That Justice Is What Love Looks Like In Public https://mollystrongheart.blogspot.com/2019/10/cornell-west-never-forget-that-justice.html

*****

I am also reminded of Cornel West's very moving speech related to why he stands with Bernie Sanders. As I listened to this again, I wept... Dr. West recognizes Senator Sanders as also being a courageous and lifelong fighter for a more just and humane world. This is who both men are. Such courage, integrity, and consistent commitment over the span of decades to truth and to the deep work of transforming our nation and world just touches my heart so deeply. Please go here to watch this moving speech which gave rise to a standing ovation at its end and my heartfelt tears...


*****

Another world is truly possible. Let us be inspired. Let us listen to the true visionaries, the courageous truth-tellers, the human beings who have long been engaged in the struggle for a caring and humane world. May they remind us of what we may have forgotten that within us is our sacred soul and loving heart that values life and yearns to be of service to a higher good. Let us be the love and justice warriors that are so deeply needed. Our children and grandchildren and all children everywhere are counting on us.

Bless us all... Molly

"We can always make a difference if we muster the courage to
think critically, to care for others, and to sustain hope, so
we can organize and mobilize with one another to bring
power and pressure to bear on the prevailing status quo." 
Cornel West

No comments: