Saturday, June 9, 2018

Rumi: The Guest House

Today I understand and treasure the wisdom of Rumi's "The Guest House." It was not always so. When I was on a mission to fix myself, to engage in "self-improvement," to get rid of the parts I disliked and was ashamed of, to be sure no one blew my cover, to remain under the illusion of being comfortably numb, to get everything under control and get my shit together, etc., etc., this poem would have been a strange mystery to me that likely would have pissed me off. But not now. I understand today that the path of opening our hearts to the experience of greater healing, love, compassion, and wisdom is one where we are asked to surrender into "welcoming it all." Through many years of great unskilled effort (which only served to keep me stuck in suffering and confusion), I've learned that I cannot truly and deeply befriend myself or anyone else as long as I was trying to get rid of places I carried within myself ― "the dark thoughts, the shame, the malice." Today I am aware that the journey of awakening invites us to embrace all that we are and integrate the healing lessons that we are offered in this process. I am moved to share this particular Rumi poem again and again because I hold a vision of humankind's potential to continue to evolve ― one where more and more of us are opening to this need for "cleaning out" in order that we are able to receive "some new delight." And surely, allowing love and compassion, understanding and wisdom, tenderness and kindness to be increasingly who we are in the world is the sweetest of all delights that we humans can experience. Blessings to us all on our journeys. ― Molly


This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
—  Rumi

No comments: