Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tara Lemieux: The Case Against Empathy?

“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.” 
 Henri J.M. Nouwen
My dears, the other day I was tasked to create an introduction, or 'lead in', to another author's article. I often contribute my time in just this way, helping others manifest their dreams to create a much more meaningful world...

A world in which Compassion's reach may extend far beyond any physical realm...and, simply by way of looking into another's eyes...

A world where Empathy may stand resolute in Expectation's place... and, simply because love really does conquer all.

You see, my friends...this is my dream, too.

And so, each day, I find my way here...to create...and in hopes that my ramblings may find their way to the hearts of others.

Perhaps, this is your dream, as well? 

Today's article was written by a very scholarly sort, a 'renowned psychologist' with scrunchied up eyebrows and lots and lots of charts.

Scientists, you see, are quite fond of their charts - as, it gives them something to hold onto inside of their tightly clenched and shaking fists. 

:)

"It is impossible to empathize with seven billion strangers," harumphed psychologist Paul Bloom in his article, "The Case Against Empathy."

Yes, that's right - the case against empathy - and this scientist has the data to prove it. 

But data is nothing without proper context. And, data doesn't ever tell the story beyond humanity's vision.

Only the human heart can tell such tales.

Only the heart can compel Mother Teresa's greatness... or offer hope through the Dalai Lama's giggle.

And, only the heart can find the source of true strength through the warmth of a dear friend's cupped hand...

Because, the human heart knows no limitations...in spite of what the data might say.  

My dears, there is a saying I would quite like to share with you - and one, that I hold dear to me each day...
"When a rider gazes into a horses eyes they find a part of themselves they thought might never be found."
I believe this to be the truest essence of empathy - that so long as we are able to look into the eyes of another, our human hearts will always find a way.  

And, as for this "case" against empathy? 

Well, my dears - this author's heart respectfully disagrees. 

Namaste, and much love to you on this day ~ and may all of our hearts find the opportunity for greatness.

No comments: