Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Glimpse into the Poetry of Our Wedding & the Great and Wondrous Mystery of Love

Pre-wedding ceremony photos.
Ron & Molly with our 6 "kids": Kevin & Kristin, Brian & Marita, Matt, & Allison.
Robert Beatty marries us.
The first dance.

 Poems we asked our children, Matt and Allison, to read as part of our 
wedding ceremony...
 

From "First Poems," by Rainer Maria Rilke

Understand, I'll slip quietly
Away from the noisy crowd
When I see the pale
Stars rising, blooming over the oaks
I'll pursue solitary pathways
Through the pale twilit meadows,
With only this one dream:
You come too.  

________________________________

 

"The Happy Virus," by Hafiz

I caught the happy virus last night
When I was out singing beneath the stars.
It is remarkably contagious -
So kiss me.


__________________________________

"Our Union," by Hafiz

Our union is like this:
You feel cold so I reach for a blanket to cover
our shivering feet.
A hunger comes into your body
so I run to my garden and start digging potatoes.
You asked for a few words of comfort and guidance and
I quickly kneel by your side offering you
a whole book as a
gift.
You ache with loneliness one night so much
you weep, and I say
here is a rope, tie it around me,
Hafiz will be your
companion
for life.
_________________________________________
"When Love Awakens," by John O'Donohue

When love awakens in your life, 
in the night of your heart, 
it is like the dawn breaking within you. 
Where before there was anonymity, 
now there is intimacy; 
where before there was fear, 
now there is courage; 
where before in your life there was awkwardness, 
now there is a rhythm of grace and gracefulness; 
where before you used to be jagged, 
now you are elegant and in rhythm with your self. 
When love awakens in your life, 
it is like a rebirth, 
a new beginning.


 This I have learned is true:
"The more we love, the more real we become." - Stephen Levine
 

No comments: