Friday, April 12, 2013

A Vow To My Partner

Photo © Lumir Koutnik
 
For Ron  

A Vow To My Partner

I will be mindful of the act of loving you every day of my life.
I will not take you for granted, but will keep my eyes open 
to the treasure that you are, allowing room for your 
individuality and your own uniqueness. 
I will not try to bend you to my ways, but rather open 
myself to your ways as being part of who you are. 
I will embrace all of you. The dark parts along with the light, 
because, together, those parts create the being that I love. 
I will accept you, respect you and admire you. 
And if something comes between us to make me stumble 
with this, I will go to you and ask your help with my struggle. 
I will bring my challenges to you, looking for your thoughts 
and support and I will return that support to you freely.  
When I'm hurt, I will believe in your love for me, 
I will bring you my hurt, and together we will 
grow from it and then put it aside. 
I will share all of myself with you, for I know to receive 
your entire heart, you must have mine. 
Together, we will work, we will play, we will laugh, 
we will grieve, and we will find our way. 
Together we will live gratitude, together we will touch love.

~Terri St. Cloud
 
from Rivers in the Ocean

No comments: