Thursday, April 21, 2022

Chelan Harkin: The One Great Heart That Lives Within Us All

Art: Lucy Campbell Image shared from The Cosmic Dancer

It’s not so much that I want
to know God
As to be close to the spiral
in the seashell,
To feel the wind
as my own breath,
To let birdsong all the way in
to my being,
let my bones
be the ledger lines
for its dancing song.
It’s not so much
that I want to know God
as to be reacquainted
with the intimacies of the stars
through remembering
they’ve always shone from within
the expansiveness of my own chest
It’s not so much that I want
to please any Cosmic Authority
as to be strong enough
to finally hold every little girl still inside of me
as she weeps old tears
that were never held.
It’s not so much that I need a particular
place of worship—
I want to flee less
the majesty of each moment
that the humble door
of my ancient heart
be more willing to open
to the wide beauty
of the world.
My only prayer is to be excommunicated
from ideology
and join the congregation of morning dew
shimmering with enlivened mystery
and freshness,
replete with sparkling wonder
It’s not so much
that I want to worship God
as for my devotional practice
to be opening
my body to the living scripture
of Life’s movement
as She dances Her desires
through me
and to remember
to say thank you
with deep recognition
for every small act of love
that finds me.
It’s not so much that I believe in God
as it’s been taught
but that all I desire
is to serve
the One Great Heart
that lives within us all.
 
Chelan Harkin
 
 

No comments: