Monday, February 21, 2022

A Little Story About a Rocking Chair

Our rocking chair over 40 years later

With my first husband, Jim Murray, and our oldest son, Brian. December 1979.

This is a little story about a rocking chair. This was a special chair, one that I rocked each of our three sons in when they were tiny. As grown men, however, our sons no longer wanted it. So I made a decision to donate our old family rocking chair to Lutheran Community Services here in Vancouver and the Afghan refugees who have been resettled in our area. I had no idea where it would end up, but knew that there were many new babies and toddlers who were being welcomed as our new neighbors.

My husband and I have been volunteering with our Afghan neighbors for well over a month now. It has been incredibly rewarding. Ron and I have done many greetings at airports for new arrivals. We've also done many transports shopping and to medical and other appointments. We were privileged to participate in a house blessing. And we've enjoyed wonderful adventures with different families out into the Columbia River Gorge and to the park along the Columbia River by our home. We've also helped families move from temporary housing to more stable housing. In addition, Ron and I have enjoyed having different families to our home for tea. And more.

All together, there have been a total of 153 Afghan refugees in this first wave who've come to the Vancouver, WA area to be resettled. And finally, just over a week ago, Ron and I were assigned our family that we would be part of a Good Neighbor Team for along with another couple, wrapping this family in needed support. We were excited to meet this young family and their tiny children and begin to build our relationships.

On the day that we were to meet our family and help them move to their apartment, Ron and I first met with others to be sure that their new home was ready and organized with what they would need. And when I walked into this apartment, I was immediately fixated on the chair sitting in the corner. And my eyes filled with tears. Out of 153 people, our family's old rocking chair was ending up with the exact family that we would be offering the most help and support to.

I cannot share the photos that I ended up taking. All that I can say is that watching this young father rock his infant baby in the same rocking chair that I rocked my babies in just filled my heart with happiness. And gratitude.

As John Perkins reminds us, "Our children’s futures are interlocked with the futures of children born in the fishing villages of Somalia, the mountains of Burma, and the jungles of Colombia. We can’t forget that fact."

Yes, we can't forget this fact. The welfare of my children and grandchildren is intimately linked to the welfare of all children and grandchildren everywhere. 

As I peel off layer after layer of my indoctrination into the illusion of separation, I am on this wondrous journey of experiencing this amazing and beautiful connection with life. Today I recognize that we are all related, all family.

And the simple pleasures of sharing this rocking chair with yet another generation of babies and their parents absolutely warms my heart. 

There are so many countless ways that we can make a difference. This is but one. And each and every ripple of caring and kindness that we create matters, and matters deeply. 

Bless us all,
💗
Molly


3 comments:

Jacquelyn Domenici said...

What a remarkable story!

Lynn Negrete said...

What an amazing and touching story, Molly. I also truly believe that what we do ripples out to the world and back to us. Many Blessings to the Afghan family that inherited your rocking chair. Many blessings to all refugees, to all those who were unable to find safety, to all us beings. ❤️🙏 Lynn Negrete

Molly Strong said...

Thank you, Lynn and Jacquelyn. Deep bow.🙏