Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Taking My Mama Home

Tomorrow my husband and I will be flying to Michigan, the land of my childhood and my ancestors. In addition to visiting with family and friends, this will be a sacred journey of completing the process of burying my mom, who died last year at the age of 94.
While our family gathered in June and participated together in a lovely ceremony to honor and bury my mother in a beautiful cemetery outside Portland, I will now be taking the remainder of her ashes to be with my dad and my brother and my mom’s parents and other relatives in Michigan.
I’m deeply grateful today to be able to do both life and death so very differently than in my younger years when my heart was more closed and defended than open and receptive and truly capable of deep and abiding love. And I’m so very grateful for the miracle of the last seven years that my mama and I were finally, finally able to share the love together that we’d both hungered for for so many years.
My heart is very tender. What a precious gift. And it’ll be good to take my beloved mother home. Blessed be. 🙏💗 Molly

Photo by Molly

No comments: