Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Chelan Harkin: My Closest Companion

Thank you, Chelan Harkin. THANK YOU! This is the heart of wisdom, compassion, tenderness, truth, and love that our world hungers for and that the whole of our human family is in such profound need of. Deep bow of gratitude and love. 🙏Molly

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkne,ss conscious." ~Carl Jung
You all, this wonderful poetic journey has, in part, been a magic carpet ride of light. And, lately, I've needed to take a turn to celebrate and pay homage to my darkness, my suffering, that has been the primary birthplace of my inspiration and one of my closest companions and teachers.
It has been my closest companion because it has beckoned my consciousness into deeper layers of self-knowing without which I would be a husk of who I am today. I would know very little of compassion without suffering having been my sure-footed guide. I would have little insight or depth into the wellspring of the heart, from whence all my poetry is tapped. I would be scared of many things and would likely weaponize that fear as projection and blame rather than using it as an entry point into deeper understanding. I wouldn't know courage.
Yesterday, I shared about being in a place of suffering and received an outpouring of loving support. Thank you. Sharing our suffering can be a great gift to ourselves and others, and in some ways can be an even more valuable gift than giving one of joy. Sharing our struggles can feel like a deeper gift from the heart and can remind us that the truth in our darkness is really a deeper, richer form of light. In my life, I've received the most benefit from those who have normalized and given companionship to my own darkness through the courageous sharing of their own.
So here's to darkness never having been wrong or bad in the first place and to innocence being at the root of all these parts of us we thought we had to hide because we've been taught that they're unworthy of love. Here's to our inherent worthiness that is in no way diminished by experiencing suffering. Here's to suffering being not only not shameful, but part and parcel of human experience.
Here's to light no longer being used as a dominating force to squelch the darkness, and the darkness no longer desiring to devour the light from a space of ravenous revenge from being so repressed, but the two coming closer into the more and more harmonious, dynamic dance of human wholeness.
Here's to all people knowing they don't need to divorce themselves from their darkness to be accepted and here's to those who know and celebrate the medicine of sharing our full self openly.
With love,

No comments: