Sunday, April 25, 2021

Francis Weller: The Work of the Mature Person

We will not understand how to strengthen our hearts and to experience ourselves and our world with our eyes, minds, hearts, and souls open until we are able to hold grief in one hand and gratitude in the other and to be stretched large by them. Francis Weller's loving, compassionate, and wise voice is but one deep gift which can empower us on our journeys. Bless us all on our paths of awakening and growing into the sacred wholeness of who we most truly are. — Molly 

Art credit: C. Lynn Reese

The work of the mature person is to carry grief in one hand and gratitude in the other and to be stretched large by them. How much sorrow can I hold? That’s how much gratitude I can give. If I carry only grief, I’ll bend toward cynicism and despair. If I have only gratitude, I’ll become saccharine and won’t develop much compassion for other people’s suffering. Grief keeps the heart fluid and soft, which helps make compassion possible.

Francis Weller
 
 

 

No comments: