Friday, April 9, 2021

David Bedrick: Showing One's Heart If a Form of Activism

I was a guest on a podcast yesterday, hosted by Bhavi Krishna Gheewala, an Indian woman.

At one point Bhavi asked me how we can make a better world, given the powerful forces of social injustice.
Something I didn't expect, something more intimate, came out of my mouth: "What can I do to make the world safer and more free for you?"
She paused for a moment and said that the reason she reached out to me was because she felt my heart in our interactions and in my writing.
Her words sent a lightning bolt into my awareness. Bhavi didn't suggest that I "do" anything (though clearly there is much to do); instead, she suggested that communicating from one's heart was powerful, in and of itself.
Thank you Bhavi: I now see that showing one's heart is a form of activism.
 
David Bedrick
 
 

No comments: