Sunday, December 1, 2013

Personal Reflections On the Doorways of Initiation


Seven years ago today I began my work as a permanency caseworker with Child Welfare. This followed nearly 20 years of my work with children and families through private non-profit agencies. The challenges over these last several years have been great - both professionally and personally. This part of my journey has also provided countless gifts. Time and again, my mind and my heart have been broken open and deepened and strengthened in the process. 

These experiences have been fertilizer for my growth and for the mysterious ways in which our lives are interwoven and in some way offer blessings to all. Now, at age 62 and while sometimes feeling more than ready to retire and go to the next step in my life, I also need to express gratitude for these past seven years and the gifts they have brought. Unknown in the beginning, what I have learned along the way is that each threshold holds its own mystery, lessons, wisdom, promise, and beauty.

So I need to acknowledge this anniversary. This has been yet another of countless other initiations on my life's journey. And, truly, the initiatory possibilities for each of us are endless with each passage into and through something significant - a new job, a new relationship, marriage, divorce, disillusionment, illness, sobriety, healing from abuse, the birth into parenthood, the death of a loved one, the death and rebirth of how we once viewed ourselves and life, and on and on. All is an offering for our further awakening. So many doorways, if we will but recognize, open, and pass through. 

Peace & blessings ~ Molly

No comments: