Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Wonderful Adventures Into the Wild and More With Our New Afghan Neighbors

Lower Latourell falls, Columbia River Gorge, Oregon
The families that we have taken to the gorge and waterfalls have never before seen a waterfall.
The Columbia River Gorge as seen from the Women's Forum and looking out on Vista House at Crown Point. It was a VERY windy day on this trip.

Ron and Shira. I've been taking my children and/or my golden retrievers on this trail for 44 years.
My youngest son Matthew and middle son Kevin at Latourell Falls, 1990.

At upper Latourell Falls. The video above was taken by one of our young friends as he stood below the upper falls on rocks in the middle of the rushing creek.

It has now been two months since my husband and I first began to volunteer with Afghan refugees through Lutheran Community Services Northwest here in Vancouver. Amidst the challenges to communicate that can arise, there is something much bigger happening. And we get to laugh together as google translate sometimes fails to say what we mean and has even said the opposite.

It is an indescribable gift, this work of being of service and support, of building relationships, of learning about and exchanging so much new information, understanding, and awareness with our new Afghan neighbors. Again and again we are breaking down walls and building bridges. What a joy this is. And a blessing for all.

* * * * *

A couple of times, and in response to sharing with others about our volunteer work with Afghan refugees, I've been asked what I am also doing for Americans. And while I may share some of my activism that is more directly related to issues here in our nation, I also come back again and again to how deeply my perspectives and consciousness has shifted as I've worked to dismantle the illusions of separation that once permeated my heart and remain pervasive in our country and worldwide.

There are many names for the worldviews that have been predominant in American culture and beyond for hundreds and thousands of years. And America is certainly not exempt from being immersed in patriarchal systems of domination and violence rather than partnership, caring, and the value and protection of life. 

Today I am aware that these barriers of separation, judgment, fear of the Other that I have erected within myself have only served to harm rather than help and heal. Gratefully, and over many years now, there have been countless teachers, mentors, wisdom-keepers, truth-tellers, visionaries and wise souls who have empowered me in an ongoing way to lift the veils of my confusion and fears and open my heart to ever deepening understanding, connection, compassion, caring, and love.

And consequently, today I get it. I get it that the pain and suffering of others is also mine. Just as the joy and peace and well-being of other beings is also mine. We are all related, all family.

And this consciousness moves me in evolving and expanding ways to act. 

* * * * *

Although my heart joins millions of others worldwide who are grieving deeply, I cannot in this moment welcome and directly support Ukrainian refugees and so many others across the planet who are suffering the atrocities and terror of war and other great traumas. But I can do what I can do. And right now, in part, that is creating space in my heart and in my actions that communicate deep caring for those who are here, now, in our communities.

It is my belief that there is something that so many of us, and especially those among us who are living with some degree of privilege, can do which serves to alleviate our own suffering and that of others. This needed healing and transformation within our world and communities and our own hearts offers us countless opportunities to roll up our sleeves and explore and expand the difference that we can make. Right now, here, today. We are all needed.

I also recognize, bless, and honor that so many are already engaged in different forms of loving activism on behalf of life on Earth. And we can tell our stories, inspire and encourage, speak the truth, and know that even the smallest actions done out of love can help heal our hearts and the heart of this beautiful hurting world that we share.

* * * * *

Meanwhile Ron and I get to have these wondrous experiences. And each one matters  whether we are venturing out together into the Wild, transporting our new neighbors to medical appointments or job interviews or grocery shopping, helping move families to new housing or having families over tea, and more. It all matters. And all of it creates ripples which are so much greater than the actions of my husband and myself alone.

The ripples that each of us create matters, and matters deeply.

I imagine a world where we humans are increasingly stepping outside the familiarity of our comfort zones and exploring new frontiers, new peoples and cultures, new ways to open our hearts more deeply to our interrelationship with all peoples, all beings, all of life. Just imagine a world where we worked individually and collectively to chip away at the walls that we have built, consciously and unconsciously, with our planetary relatives. 

Just imagine.

Bless us all,
💗
Molly 
 
* * * * *

 Some quotes that I have found inspiring:
 
The antidote to despair is activism.
Bill McKibben
 
Spiritual practice involves, on the one hand, 
acting out of concern for others' well-being. 
On the other, it entails transforming ourselves so 
that we become more readily disposed to do so.
Dalai Lama
 
We don’t set out to save the world; 
we set out to wonder how other people are 
doing and to reflect on how our actions 
affect other people’s hearts. 
Pema Chödrön 
 
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, 
and to do good is my religion. 
Thomas Paine 
 
My job now is to try and help people understand 
every one of us makes a difference. 
And cumulatively, wise choices in how we act 
each day can begin to change the world. 
 Jane Goodall

The more we love, the more real we become.
Stephen Levine

These families had never before seen the big freighters.
As we gazed upon the ships and the Columbia River, a big sea lion surfaced several times. All a wondrous gift.

No comments: