Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Amanda Gorman: Won't You Be My Sister?

 Won't You Be My Sister?
 
Mark me a ripple,
Make me a piercing drop 
Of froth at the lip of a wave,
Just so I can be but a note
In the roar of this cresting ocean.
 
Name me breath,
Know me as air
Dancing nude in the tree tops,
Just so I can be but a sigh
In the cry of this changing world. 

Call me heat, 
Claim me red
Of flash writhing in fervor
Just so I can be but a spark
In the pulse of a newborn flame.

Hear me as woman,
Have me as your sister
On purpled battlefield breaking day,
So I might say our victory is just beginning.
 
That you and I are women
No longer trying to woo men 
Holding the truth to be self-evident
That all genders are created equal.

See me as change,
Say I am movement,
That I am the year
And I am the era
Of the women.

Amanda Gorman,
22 year old American poet and activist

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Young but very wise, and yes we will be listening for more from Amanda!