Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Green Festival & David Korten: Navigating the Great Turning From Empire to Earth Community


Warmest Greetings

In April of this year I had the great privilege and pleasure of attending Seattle's first annual Green Festival. Although this phenomenal coming together of some of America's greatest visionaries has been happening for several years now, this was the first time for this event to make it to the Pacific Northwest. Through a series of synchronicities I learned of this year's Green Festival just in time to make the drive northward to Seattle to attend. The cost of entrance for two days - $10. And - WOW! - was it spectacular beyond my wildest dreams! It is believed that some 30,000 people attended this event which featured 350 exhibits and 165 speakers who spoke from five different stages. I am sure that there would have been more attending if it were not for the fact that the Dalai Lama was also in Seattle that same weekend. I am so very grateful to have attended! Now I will not miss another Green Festival whenever it comes to the great Northwest.

Before I go any further, please note that this year's Green Festival has been scheduled for Seattle, Chicago, Washington D.C., and San Francisco. For all those who live in the Northwest, you may want to know that I learned that next year's Seattle festival is scheduled for the last weekend in March of 2009 - which looks like 3/28-3/29/09. You may want to join me in marking your calendars!

This is the website for the Green Festival: http://www.greenfestivals.org/content/view/767/390/

It is my intention to write several posts that are related to my experiences at this year's Green Festival in Seattle. I would like to begin with David Korten, who - in my opinion - is one of this country's greatest visionaries. Please go here to glimpse who this man is: http://www.davidkorten.org/. It is clear upon listening to this brief biography that this is a man who through his life experiences has become a true Elder, visionary, wisdomkeeper, and peacemaker. I love David Korten. I love all those who are making such a profound difference in the world.

It was such an honor and such a moving experience to be able to sit right up front during David's presentation and maintain wonderful eye contact off and on throughout his speech. Please go here to read the transcript or to listen to David Korten at this year's Green Festival: http://yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=2640. I believe that this message, and numerous other ones like it that are spreading across our country and the planet, are of profound importance to humanity and life on Earth.

For further reading and information on The Great Turning, please go here: http://www.thegreatturning.net/

Peace & Blessings,

Molly

"Towards this end, it is imperative that we, the peoples of Earth, declare our responsibility to one another, to the greater community of life, and to future generations."
—The Earth Charter (2000)


No comments: