Sunday, August 29, 2021

A Personal Story of Synchronicity, Grace, and Treasured Friendship

Ron and I enjoyed such a lovely evening together during our visit to Michigan last week with Eleanor Payson and her husband Tom.

My connection with Ellie is full of mystery and wonder. Many years ago a friend who knew that I was coping with an aging narcissistic mother recommended the book The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping With the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family. All I needed to do was read the reviews to know that I had to get it.

And, indeed, this is by far the best book I’ve ever read on Narcissistic Personality Disorder and understanding and cultivating healthy skills to deal with someone suffering from this devastating illness. So I wrote its author to thank her and to share a piece of my story.

And Ellie wrote me back and then the incredible synchronicities began to emerge. We are both the same age. We both grew up swimming in the same lake in Michigan and had grandparents who lived on Orchard Lake. We both had a narcissistic parent and lost a brother to suicide. And, at different times, we both lived on the exact same street (Harcourt) in Grosse Pointe Park, which is where my parents built their first home and where I lived until age 6.

It is an amazing and mysterious gift when we connect with soulful loving friends who we share so much in common with. Ellie is among my treasured friends and I also adore her sweet husband. Deepest gratitude. 🙏💗

 Molly

 

No comments: