Sunday, April 5, 2015

One Of My Greatest Prayers


A Catholic sister recalls how her years of prayer led her to this:

It has come to one main thing: a willingness to have an ongoing relationship with all good and evil, to allow myself to suffer consciously, to be the tolerant ground that holds the tears of the world, those far and those close around me. My spirituality does not pit itself against anger or passion or conflict anymore. That is garbage. Those teachings have done more harm than good. In the end there comes a realization of no blame. I vow nonviolence to everything. Do not torment, do not escalate pain in myself or outside myself -- this has become one of my greatest prayers.

- Excerpted from After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: 
How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path by Jack Kornfield 

No comments: