Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Remembering Maya Angelou


 Memories of Maya

I heard the news this morning. My eyes filled with tears and I went to Ron to just be held. Maya Angelou has died at the age of 86. I wept.

Several years ago Maya Angelou came to the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland and I was thrilled to be in the audience. I will always remember how the entire sold out crowd rose to our feet in the same moment when she first entered the room. This was a woman to be honored. This was an extraordinary woman. A woman who also reminded us of how extraordinary we all are.

What an amazing experience that evening was! I do not remember everything she said, but I do remember how Maya Angelou made me feel. What a gift. Afterwards I was able to be on stage with her. I clasped my palms and bowed to her, then shook her hands. I thanked Maya Angelou for how she has touched my heart. And the heart of untold others.

Many years before that, I happened to be home one afternoon at a time I was usually working or busy with my young children. On this day, however, I turned on Oprah Winfrey, not knowing that Maya Angelou was being interviewed in her home by Oprah. I was mesmerized. And I will always remember Maya Angelou speaking about negativity. She spoke of the power of our words and our energy. Dr. Angelou shared her belief that someday we will be able to measure negativity. She clearly knew and described how negativity can inhabit a home, furniture, walls, and get under our skin and into our cells, our bones, our hearts. Maya Angelou went on to describe how she handles situations when something derogatory is being said by someone, anyone, about another human being. She stated that she could have a home full of guests, but that if she hears someone across the room expressing negativity toward or about anyone else that she would raise her hand in the air - demonstrating with her arm raised and her finger pointed with authority - and clearly exclaim, "Stop that! Stop that right NOW!!"

Which really impacted me and prompted me to immediately begin to try this practice with my three sons and their friends. And myself. Somehow I believe it may have worked better for Maya Angelou at that time than it did for me and within my own home and heart. But the impact of that wisdom, that deep knowing of the utter importance of kindness, respect, caring for our fellow human beings and ourselves stayed with me. And over time deepened in me. And in my sons. Seeds were planted that each year bear more fruit.

And I am forever grateful for this beautiful soul. I miss her dearly. And I thank Maya Angelou for her presence and passion, her courage and infinite caring, her wisdom and great heart, which will always be with me. And with all of us who loved her.

Namaste ~ Molly

No comments: