Monday, March 24, 2014

For John - Through the Gateway: Reflections On the Anniversary of Our Birth

John & Molly on the shores of our family beach on Orchard Lake, Michigan

I love and miss my brother. I always will. In a few hours it will be 63 years since we were born. I came first, five minutes before John. Just short of 27 years later, on January 30th, 1978, my brother ended his life and I became a twinless twin. At least in the physical world. Yet, in my heart, John will live on forever. 

In this lifetime, now and for the past many years, I live for both of us. And today I am mindful of how I continue to grow and expand in awareness and appreciation for all that has come through the enormity of this loss. Not that this means the grief is gone or that I would wish great suffering on anyone. Yet, life brings to each of us those experiences that break our hearts open... or shut them down. For me, the sorrow in my heart remains and is today also intertwined with joy, love, tenderness, and a deep gratitude, an inner honoring bow for this awakening that came through - among others - the gateway of my twin's death.

My experience continues to teach me again and again that embracing - rather than running from - life's gateways offers blessings and gifts beyond our wildest imagining.

With love and deep compassion and blessings for us all ~
Molly
 

THROUGH THE GATEWAY

Through the gateway of feeling your weakness 
lies your strength.
Through the gateway of feeling your pain 
lies your pleasure and joy.
Through the gateway of feeling your fear 
lies your security and safety.
Through the gateway of feeling your loneliness 
lies your capacity to have fulfillment, love and companionship.
Through the gateway of feeling your hopelessness 
lies true and justified hope.
Through the gateway of accepting the lacks in your childhood 
lies your fulfillment now.

- Eva Pierrakos

No comments: