Monday, August 16, 2010

John O'Donohue: A Morning Offering




A Morning Offering

I bless the night that nourished my heart
To set the ghosts of longing free
Into the flow and figure of dream
That went to harvest from the dark
Bread for the hunger no one sees.

All that is eternal in me
Welcome the wonder of this day,
The field of brightness it creates
Offering time for each thing
To arise and illuminate.

I place on the altar of dawn:
The quiet loyalty of breath,
The tent of thought where I shelter,
Wave of desire I am shore to
And all beauty drawn to the eye.

May my mind come alive today
To the invisible geography
That invites me to new frontiers,
To break the dead shell of yesterdays,
To risk being disturbed and changed.

May I have the courage today
To live the life that I would love,
To postpone my dream no longer
But do at last what I came here for
And waste my heart on fear no more.

~ John O'Donohue ~

(To Bless the Space Between Us)


Web version:
www.panhala.net/Archive/A_Morning_Offering.html

2 comments:

Bruce said...

Hi Molly,

re:
"But do at last what I came here for
And waste my heart on fear no more."

It really is a "waste" isn't it? But it often takes a lifetime to come to the realization....
What I've realized is the heart is a resilient little muscle and once the courage is found to let go of fear then the flowering begins....
I know I'm preaching to the choir here.... but it still helps to "hear" this sentiment again and again....
-------------------
That John Perkins is quite a fellow... I see here on your blog that you crossed paths this summer. I heard him on the radio and he carries such an uplifting spirit... which also bears continual repeating....

Blessings, dear friend...
B.

Molly Strong said...

Thanks for your comment, Bruce, which I am just finding. The journey through fear is an on-going one. I am simply so grateful to have begun... :-) And, yes, John Perkins is among many who I have such high regard for. Blessings to John and you and me and all of us who are in some way, large or small, making a difference. Blessed be. And blessings to you... Molly