Friday, August 14, 2009

Crazy For God by Frank Shaeffer


I am appreciative of the comment below that this author left me
about his new book after reading my post. Peace ~ Molly

* * *

Crazy for God: How I Grew Up As One of the Elect,
Helped Found the Religious Right
and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back

Frank Schaeffer was "Crazy for God," But Then He Came to His Senses:
He Recently Made a Devastating Critique on Cable TV
of the Christian Right His Parents Helped Develop

Recently Frank Schaefer launched a decimating attack on the religious right on cable television that has been caroming around the Internet.

Schaefer, the son of founders or the religous right (although from an odd nuance of spartan Puritan self-denial), came to know the leaders of the religous right - and leading GOP politicians including Bush and Reagan --personally before he saw the light. As a result, he has an informed perspective when he says:

"And the fact of the matter is, I think we have come through a very, very bad time and unfortunately, I'm sorry to say, my dad and I, when I was a young man and he in his career had a lot to do with it. Because we were the people, who along with others like James Dobson, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell and the others, we put all of this crap in place. And now the reason I wrote "Crazy for God" is because the title is literally that if awe approach God in a certain way, it will drive you crazy. And this has been a period of craziness."


Other resources:


* * *

Whether you believe in God or not does not matter so much,
whether you believe in Buddha or not does not matter so much.
You must lead a good life.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples;
no need for complicated philosophy.
Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

~ HH the Dalai Lama


1 comment:

Frank Schaeffer said...

Karen: Frank Schaeffer here thanks for mentioning my book. I trust you are well, and love the pictures on your site. By the way, I hope you get a chance to read my new book, Patience With God--Faith For People Who Don't Like Religion (Or Atheism). Given what is on your site I think it will be right up your street. Best, Frank
frankaschaeffer@aol.com